Where are we...????

Just a note to all of you faithful readers who keep coming back hoping to find updates...

We are in the process of rolling this site (and CentsAble Baby) into our main blog BeCentsAble! Please look for us there in the coming week!

Save More...BeCentsAble

Visit our other blogs for more money saving information and tips:

BeCentsAble http://www.becentsable.blogspot.com/

CentsAble Baby http://www.centsablebaby.blogspot.com/

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Works For Me Wednesday: My Franklin Covey Inspired Planner


I LOVE LOVE LOVE to organize, or maybe it's just the thinking about organizing that I love? Either way, I get giddy every time I sit down to plan a new project or schedule out my week. It's really odd and something my husband has been amused over quite often.

I spent 7 years in a corporate finance job where I had access to (and an excuse for) all the newest organizing gadgets! Franklin Covey was literally my favorite store. Since I started staying home I have slowly and hesitantly given up all of my lovely planning binders and unused pages and forms.


Now that I am blogging on a regular basis and have two kids to raise, I have discovered a new "need" for my planners and kicked myself for getting rid of them all. However, our one-income budget will not support my FC addiction so, this past week I had to get creative.

I actually mentioned to my husband that I planned to get an organizer of some sort and I could see the look in his eyes - thinking "uh-oh". So, I decided to take my frugality to one more step, just in case he doubted my efforts.

I found an old small-size three-ring binder we had lying around (we have 2 identical ones actually) that happened to also have sturdy tab dividers in it. I also had a notebook full of lined paper that was largely unused despite having had it for SEVERAL years (that's another addition I have - office supplies!) and two smaller steno type note pads. I got out our three-hole punch and adjusted the holes to match the small binder. I used power point to layout a planner page exactly as I needed it you could use any program you are fmailiar with (even excel). My notebook is the perfect size for a half-sheet of paper so I was able to make 2 pages from each piece. I then used small sticker-labels to label my dividers on both sides.

The best part was that I get to be creative in planning my pages and they can be different every time I print them. I took a lot of pleasure in this particular part of the process because I was always wanting MORE from my pages. They never quote met my expectations (at least that was the justification for buying more before my old ones ran out!)!

I LOVE my new planner and I feel SO good about doing it this way. My husband was impressed with me! Here are the photos.




I realize this is not a natural or organic idea/act but I am re-purposing things I already have around the house (I only printed the pages new, everything else was lying around doing nothing!) so in my defense I am saving a bit of unnecessary production, waste, fuel, etc!
Check out WFMW posts at our other blogs BeCentsAble and CentsAbleBaby

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Great tip-I'm going to try this

The Happy Housewife said...

great idea- I do something similar but I like yours better.
The Happy Housewife
http://happyhousewife.wordpress.com

Jan/lost-strayed-or-stolen.blogspot.com said...

Great idea. If only I were computer-knowledgable enough to use a spreadsheet program. Is there some kind of generic form available somewhere?

Amy said...

WTG! I love planners and office supplies, too. :)

Amy said...

I have been thinking about doing something similar but wasn't sure how, I mean I actually have an old planner like yours that is on my desk at home but I wasn't sure what to do next. Thanks for inspiration! What types of pages did you create for yourself?

Britni said...

I do something like this with a home management binder and a meals/recipes binder. Thanks!

mmclassics said...

A site with many free useful forms is http://donnayoung.org or http://donnayoung.org/forms. There are calendar, homeschool planners, all sorts of free pages.

c_barrett said...

You may want to check out this Web site - http://www.diyplanner.com/